- Find a quite, comfortable place to sit, on a chair or on the floor
- Make sure you body is relaxed, stretch and release any tension in your body, especially your face, jaw, shoulders and belly.
- Take a moment to listen, start with external sounds, then slowly bringing the attention into the body, noticing any sounds, your breathing, gurgling etc
- Take a few slow breaths in and out and when you are ready, gently bring your lips together and make a humming sound on the out breath. Keep listening to your body when you breath in.
- Continue humming on the out breath, feel free to change the tone or pitch of your hum. You might event like to experiment with different tones.
- Feel the hum travel through your whole body, filling your head, torso, legs, all your internal organs… as though you are re-tuning your whole cellular structure.
- Continue initially for a couple of minutes (you can extend it up to about 10 minutes each day).
- Once you finish, take a few moments of stillness to witness and experience the effects.
I would love if you would let me know the benefits you received from your humming practice, here are some of mine.
- Relaxation – stills the busy mind.
- Deeper breathing – the humming has the effect of stretching the out breath.
- Grounding, I feel more in my body, more solid.
- Aliveness, increased energy – I find that my whole body is energised after humming, I can almost hear each cell come alive and start to hum.
- YOU?? Email me anything you noticed!